Fitness Law Academy, LLC
Founded in 2013, our mission is to advance the exercise profession by providing educational programs and resources that will help minimize legal liability and enhance fitness safety.
By learning and applying legal concepts and risk management strategies, fitness managers and exercise professionals will be well-prepared to carry out their many legal duties, provide high quality (safe and effective) programs for their participants, and advance the exercise profession.
Dr. JoAnn Eickhoff-Shemek (Dr. JES)
President and Founder
The Need for Legal and Risk Management Education
Many injuries and subsequent negligence lawsuits are due to the lack of legal and risk management education. Too often, academic and certification preparations programs do not adequately provide this important education.
Did You Know?
1. A high number of exercise and exercise equipment injuries occur every year.
2. Given our litigious society, injured parties do not hesitate to file negligence lawsuits against exercise professionals and their employers.
3. In addition to minimizing negligence lawsuits, fitness managers and exercise professionals need to comply with many federal, state, and local laws that are applicable to the exercise profession.
4. Most Important: Situations that can lead to legal liability risks can be effectively managed by acquiring the knowledge and skills to develop and implement a comprehensive risk management plan.
What Can You Do?
Start Your Legal/Risk Management Education!
Browse through our website to learn about our:
(1) new textbook
(2) educational courses for academicians, fitness managers, exercise professionals, and students
(3) many "free" educational resources.
Now is the time to enhance your legal and risk management knowledge and skills.
Your "Must Have" Resource
NEW TEXTBOOK: Law for Fitness Managers and Exercise Professionals
Three years in the making, this ground-breaking, comprehensive, 538-page textbook is the “go-to” resource for fitness managers and exercise professionals. It covers what, why and how:
WHAT laws do fitness managers and exercise professionals need to know?
WHY do fitness managers and exercise professionals need to know the laws?
HOW do fitness managers and exercise professionals apply the laws?
For more information and how to order, go to the Textbook page.
Authors: JoAnn M. Eickhoff-Shemek, PhD, FACSM
Barbara J Zabawa, JD, MPH
Paul R. Fenaroli, JD
Publisher: Fitness Law Academy, LLC, 2020